Thursday 20 November 2008

Satsuma


I'm a wannabe surfer.

I've done a little was I was a teen; West Wales, Scotland and Croyde but I still crave the lifestle and vibe real surfers have.

So I applied to work in a surf shop.

Today I had a 'recruitment evening' at Quiksilver, my favorite surf clothing store.

It started at 7.30pm at the Regent Street store and promised to be an interesting evening.

First thing I realised was...I was the only Brit there! Nuts! My competition were Venezuelan, Russian, South African, Kiwi, Australian, French, the list goes on.

The staff took a Polaroid of us and then introduced themselves to us.

I loved being there, upstairs among the clothes hangers in the rustic surroundings, surf boards peeping from behind the displays

But I felt out of my league. I mean, it was only a part time retail assistant job I wanted and all of a sudden they wanted to know 10 things about each of us, our hates, likes and 'something random'.

My something random was "I'm a lifeguard" quite interesting and I hoped it would impress them because of the water sports aspect.

Then we were thrown into teams and asked to play charades with our favorite film. Ours was, well my team chose mine, so mine was Lion King.....

So, we depicted the scene where Simba's father is killed by the stampede in the gorge and Scar just watches. Crazy stuff but it went well, if a bit static.

After that the team's challenge was to dress one of the male staff for a night out in London.
So we ran around the store and picked out the best clothes, I loved it!

Overall, after question time, I had a great night even if it was not surfing Hawaii it was the London version, just to be in the presence of surfers was bliss.

No comments: