Monday 27 October 2008

Banana

I know a fair bit about Iceland.

The recent economic hurdles many of our North European neighbours have come across highlight the extent of 'the crisis'.

I mean, who would have thought that the most affluent island in the North Atlantic Ocean would suffer in this epic recession?

Back to my knowledge of Iceland. Again, I have not been but from what my mother has described, when she represented Wales in an exchange programme in the 1970s, it's "beautiful and untouched".

She stayed in Reykjavik with host families and claims that it's not as 'icy' as one would think. That's a bit disappointing but when my brothers reported back after school geography trips all that they revealed in pictures were the natural hot springs and bikini shots of class mates!

Recently a good friend of mine has spent the last two summers working for an Icelandic conservation team, building paths and creating plantation areas in national parks. Adventurous stuff! She was paid pittance but as a geography graduate fancied a season in the barren wilds of Skaftafell.

Apparently, a weekend in Iceland is cheaper than ever since the crash of the markets. There's more Icelandic kronur to the pound so Christmas shopping could be creative this year, in Reykjavik!

Although, I have heard so much about the geographical side of the place from all the school and university trips my friends and family have taken, may be now is the time to take advantage of a Last Minute holiday?!

No comments: